Sunday, July 16, 2006

First day of school

I just collapsed at my desk after a full morning of ulpan (Hebrew immersion class), kita gimel (level 3 out of 5). Each of the dozen students in the class had to introduce themselves and speak of their background. Then we dove into a short story by Yosel Bierstein about an illiterate, long-suffering woman who can only express herself through crying (much to the annoyance of her neighbors), and who finally learns her 'alef-bet' after attending a funeral, where crying is the norm.

It will not be a walk in the park, but I think the level is right for me. My major aim will be to increase my vocabulary and bring my speaking ability up to my reading comprehension. The instructor is calm but insistent, and today she was dressed in flowing white garments that made her look something like a swan.

It was an enjoyable, restful Shabbat, made even better by Donna's visit. I am definitely coming to appreciate the benefits of completely abstaining from work for a day! This week will be long and full of work, but the thought of Shabbat at its end is sweet indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home