Sunday, July 09, 2006

Flying Solo

This evening, my betrothed went off to Tel Aviv to begin her four week opera program, and our apartment in Jerusalem is now a bachelor pad. She will be in and out sporadically, but for most of the next month I will have the place to myself, for better or for worse...

It was sad to part ways, especially after having spent virtually every moment together as of late. I didn't think it was possible for two people so in love to grow even closer, but as Donna remarked the other day, we understand each other so well now that sometimes it feels like we share the same mind. I will miss our intimate connection. I hope our respective schedules will keep us too busy to dwell on our distance!

I also hope I don't become too reclusive. While living in Boston I had a tendency to shut myself up in the Nest for days at a time, with the cold weather and digital cable only partly to blame. It was mostly my fear of trying new things in a new place. Having already met several of my colleagues, however, I am starting to feel very comfortable here, and the beautiful warm weather makes it all but impossible to resist venturing out!

Flying solo tonight, though, meant having some pita, hummus and grapes for dinner (well-stocked fridge courtesy Savta) and listening to our beloved NPR on "Gal," the WiFi network I'm borrowing for the time being which I can only receive at the very back corner of the desk. We'll soon have our own aDSL line, but I'm grateful for even a tenuous link to the world at large.

Tomorrow I mean to take care of some worldly matters like meeting our landlord's handyman friend, paying an electricity bill over the phone (most likely with an all-Hebrew menu system), and possibly paying another trip to Supersol (supermarket around the corner) for more pita, produce and yogurt, which I neglected to get today. Then comes a week of orientation activities, followed immediately by the beginning of ulpan. I'll bet I get put in Bet (level 2 out of 5); we shall see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home