Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"Patience"

This week marked the opening of "Patience" with the Jerusalem English Speaking Theater in partnership with the Jerusalem Gilbert and Sullivan Society. It has been a very LOOONG rehearsal process, one that I haven't experienced since the last time I did community theater (coincidentally, when I did G&S shows in college). Opening night brought with it an unprecedented challenge for me: I woke up on Sunday morning before the dress rehearsal with a sore throat and completely hoarse voice. I didn't sing at all at the dress rehearsal on Sunday night and prayed that I would be able to sing on Monday for the show...

Monday morning I found myself still quite sick and very, very hoarse. After panicking for a few hours, I calmed myself down (with the help of Josh, who came home from school because he was worried about me.... more proof that he's beyond amazing). I realized that somehow or other, I had to go onstage and so I did my best to warm up my voice. I don't know if I have ever relied so heavily on my years of training as I did to get me through the first performance.... it certainly took a lot of concentration! Josh and Mary were in the audience last night and they both swear that there wasn't any evidence that I was so sick.

Now I just have to get through another performance tonight, and TWO tomorrow -- back to back! And of course, four more next week. Haven't taken any photos yet, but I promise to do so very soon...

1 Comments:

At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey D - I hope your voice feels better. how did the shows go? can't wait to see photos!
KSKS to you, and Josh too!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home