Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Balancing act

As Donna promised, this semester has begun with a bang. Last week I met (all too briefly) with a group of aspiring ministers from the Eden Theological Seminary in St. Louis, MO. I very much enjoyed my first "interfaith" forum and look forward to continuing such work throughout my career. This Thursday the cantorial students are giving a recital of opera and musical theatre selections to benefit our colleagues who are traveling to the Former Soviet Union to lead Passover seders. Next week I am participating in a special Kabbalat Shabbat - Tu biShvat service for a visiting group from the Jewish National Fund. And of course there is the sheaf of classes to contend with; in addition to Hebrew and Liturgy and Jewish Music History, I am taking a course on Israel Folk/Popular Music, a Cantorial Workshop in which we learn as much practical repertoire as possible, and also a series of lectures and discussions on Rabbinic literature. Although I'm not required to take this last class, I'm excited to learn about material that has heretofore mystified me.

There will be a moment of escape this Shabbat to Kiryat Moriah, the home of the Jewish Agency and a special program with Avichai Shelichim: Israelis who come to the USA in the summers to work at Jewish camps. As my last experience at a Jewish camp was for 2 weeks 15 years ago while my father was the camp doctor, I am excited to renew this ancient connection and make new acquaintances!

The cantorial class has begun making plans to audition for next year's student pulpits via a DVD recording early next month. I find myself dwelling on the event, perhaps a bit too much, since it effectively marks the beginning of my professional career. But I know I will secure a fine job and gain a lot of valuable experience in a real synagogue.

And of course, there is the wedding looming less than five months from now. Tending to all of these proves to be quite the balancing act for yours truly, but I know that this too is good preparation for what lies ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home